For 15 months Guest Services, Pit Crew, and GCC workers at Virgin have stuck together as TWU members and maintained pressure on Virgin for a fair deal that delivers on the key issues raised by members for the new EA.
Your TWU member-led negotiating team met with Virgin management on 6 February in Melbourne. In response to escalating pressure in recent weeks Virgin tabled a revised EA offer that addresses key outstanding TWU members’ claims to deliver an EA worth voting for.
Virgin has now increased their offer on key improvements to address TWU claims:
- Improved pay offer from 2% per year to 2.25% from July 2017, 2.5% July 2018, 2.75% July 2019.
- Increased new FT jobs offer from 30 to 105.
- Increased Part Time hours to 25 per week (and aim for 30 averaged over a quarter).
What happens next?
1. Your TWU negotiating team will finalise the actual EA document with Virgin management in coming days and agree a timeline for voting.
2. TWU workplace meetings commence to explain key changes in the Agreement.
3. The final Enterprise Agreement document and offer from Virgin will be released for your consideration.
4. You get to vote on the new Agreement.
5. If a majority of ground crew vote YES it goes to the Fair Work Commission for approval and pay rises will be backpaid to July 2017.
Check out what’s good, bad, and otherwise
We all know that a better EA is just the beginning as members work to secure a better future for Pit Crew, Guest Services, and GCC workers at Virgin Australia.
After hundreds of hours of back-and-forth at the bargaining table over the past 15 months your TWU member-led negotiating team has reached in-principle Agreement with Virgin Australia on a new EA that will deliver on the things you said matter for the new EA.
AN EA WORTH VOTING FOR:
- Pay increases better than CPI (2.25% July 2017, 2.5% July 2018, 2.75% July 2019).
- Full back-pay to July 2017 of 2.25% (when CPI is 1.8%)
- Removal of ROS Days for Full-timers.
- 105 new Full time Jobs.
- Guaranteed minimum part time hours to increase from 22 hour to 25 hours per week.
- Right to request conversion from Part-Time to Full-Time (but not guaranteed approval).
- Commitment to work with TWU to maximize full-time jobs and opportunities for insourcing.
- Protections from split shifts.
- Accelerated advancement – reduction of barriers for moving from PC2>PC3 and GS1>GS2.
- New leave types (Community Service Leave & Defence Leave).
- Increased entitlement to Bereavement Leave 2 days to up to 3 days per occasion, increased Emergency Leave from 2 days to 3 days per year.
- Bereavement Leave and Emergency Leave will no longer be deducted from Personal Leave.
- Expanded definition of “suitable evidence” when evidence required for personal leave to include stat decs etc.
- Lots of other detail minor improvements.
WHAT’S NOT SO GOOD:
✗ Swings & Roundabouts Changes to Personal Leave.
- Proposed reduction in Personal Leave accruals from 18 days per year to 16 days per year (VA originally sought reduction to 13 days) BUT with increases to other leave types.
- BUT Bereavement Leave and Emergency Leave entitlements have been increased and will no longer be deducted from Personal Leave.
- Evidence will be required after 7 single day absences (VA wanted 4), BUT definition of evidence widened to include stat decs not just med certs.
✗ No increased Super.
✗ No guaranteed right to convert from Part Time to Full Time.