This Wednesday 8 March 2017 Central Coast Garbos employed by Remondis are again running stop work action which will run for a 24 hour period.
This means that no kerbside bins or booked bulk waste piles will be collected. Garbos working for Remondis are vulnerable because the Central Coast Council refuses to protect them from a $300 a week pay drop courtesy of Remondis, a multinational contractor who is happy to see drivers do the same job for less. Worse, if the waste contract changes hands these workers may be left without a job.
TWU members took their protest directly to the Central Coast Council last week. Richard Olsen, Secretary NSW Transport Workers’ Union, said “Central Coast Council continues to refuse to protect the wages and conditions of local waste workers. These are highly experienced and dedicated locals that their own council continues to ignore.”
“It’s about time that the NSW Government, and in particular Local Government Minister Gabrielle Upton and Premier Gladys Berejiklian, stood up for waste workers across NSW.”
“Minister Upton and Premier Berejiklian can show leadership across NSW by making a simple legislative change that will ensure waste workers across NSW have their wages and conditions protected when local waste services are put out to tender by councils,” Richard Olsen said.
Media Inquiries – please contact Colin Henderson 0405 625 208